One of the reasons I’ve been drawn to functional medicine and holistic routes is because they focus on addressing the root cause instead of treating symptoms like traditional medicine does.
But the problem I often see with functional medicine is that it’s far too expensive, making it impossible for most people to access it.
That is, until now.
Dr. Robin Berzin, the CEO and founder of Parsley Health, is working hard to change that in her practice, which focuses on making functional medicine more accessible.
Not only do they provide an affordable and effective option, they also aim to train other physicians to do the same thing so that people across the United States can get the help they need.
In today’s episode, you’ll discover why functional medicine is far more effective, how Dr. Berzin and her team approach each patient to identify what needs to be addressed, and how they tackle mental health issues.
You’ll also hear more about what Dr. Berzin’s team focuses on and why, the exercises she recommends, and the role your gut microbiome plays in mental health.
Dr. Berzin and I also chat about why our health system is so messed up, what the future of that looks like, and how things are changing because of Covid.One in five women will be diagnosed with a thyroid condition in their lifetime and one of the chief symptoms of hypothyroidism is depression. Yet no one tests for it. Click To Tweet
Dr. Robin Berzin is a practicing physician who went to medical school at Columbia University and trained in internal medicine at Mount Sinai.
Throughout her time in medical school, she also worked as a researcher at NYU and a producer for Dr. Mehmet Oz and Oprah’s first ever health radio show.
She also ventured into the tech space and co-founded a company called Cureatr, which connects doctors in hospitals via an app.
From there, Dr. Berzin went on to study at the Institute of Functional Medicine, where she worked with some of the top physicians in this space.
She also became a certified yoga teacher and taught meditation.
Fast forward to today and Dr. Berzin and her team at Parsley Health work with patients in her clinic to help address chronic diseases and reverse as many as possible.
You’ll hear more about her background, her clinical practice, and how that’s possible when you check out the episode.
Here’s a small snippet of some of the topics Dr. Berzin and I get into:
- What the last couple of years have been like for Dr. Robin Berzin as she’s grown her holistic health practice
- Dr. Berzin’s medical background
- What got Dr. Berzin interested in the medical field
- Why she started offering holistic medical services online and what that looks like
- What the role of doctors looks like in the near future
- Why there’s a huge gap in our healthcare system and what can be done to fix this
- How Dr. Berzin’s team approaches each patient they work with
- More about diagnostic testing
- How Dr. Berzin and her team looks at the body as a whole and why they do this
- What she emphasizes in her practice
- How things have changed with Covid
- How she integrates and quantifies the mental health side of things
- Health tracking through wearables
- More about mental health and alternative therapies such as ketamine, psilocybin, and MDMA
- Movement and its role in health
- The exercises Dr. Berzin recommends
- The problems associated with our lack of movement and sedentary lifestyles
- What the future looks like post-Covid
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the Natural State Podcast on iTunes to get automatic updates. Use Android? Click here to subscribe on Stitcher and here to subscribe on Google Play Music.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Dr. Robin Berzin’s Parsley Health website
- Dr. Robin Berzin’s personal Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Parsley Health’s Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Parsley Health’s free trial
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 114: Dr. Benjamin Bikman – The Driving Force Behind Chronic Diseases
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 119: Molly Maloof – How to Extend Your Lifespan and Improve Your Quality of Life
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 097: Dr. William Cole – Decreasing Inflammation in the Body for Better Health
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 113: Dr. Mark Hyman – Fixing Our Food System
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 092: Vivica Menegaz – Ayahuasca, MDMA, and Plant-Based Medicines for Healing Trauma
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 090: Kelly LeVeque – Four Simple Ingredients to Better Health, Improved Blood Sugar, and Increased Satiety
- Keto Diet and Depression: How Ketosis Affects Mental Health