Dr. Will Cole, a leading functional medicine practitioner and author of two incredible books, was the seventh guest to ever appear on this podcast.
And now he’s back as my 97th guest — which is awesome — and a lot has changed since he first came on.
Shortly after his first episode, he launched his book Ketotarian, which focused on a mostly plant-based approach to keto.
Dr. Cole dove into this topic when he appeared the first time around.
But this time we’re chatting about some topics from his latest book, The Inflammation Spectrum, to discuss all things related to inflammation.
So you’ll discover what inflammation really is, why it’s not a bad thing, and what happens when things go wrong.
Dr. Cole also explains that, when autoimmune diseases eventually surface, it means they’ve been brewing underneath anywhere from 4-10 years prior.
Because of that, Dr. Cole shares what you can do to combat inflammation and how this affects more people than most realize.
Dr. Cole also discusses how inflammation can affect your mental, emotional, and physical wellbeing and what can be done to stop it in its tracks.The space in which you eat food is oftentimes just as important as the food itself. Click To Tweet
If you didn’t catch Dr. Cole on his first episode, or you’re just not familiar with him, he’s a functional medicine expert that focuses on helping people around the globe using telehealth medicine.
In his practice, he helps people identify the underlying causes that are contributing to chronic diseases and autoimmune issues and helps them create a customized plan to start healing these issues.
Dr. Cole was also named one of the top 50 functional medicine and integrative doctors in the United States and he continues to share his message through speaking engagements, the two books he’s written, and as a course instructor for top wellness brands like MindBodyGreen and Goop.
When you tune into this episode, you’ll discover how inflammation could be at the root of your health issues and some simple strategies you can implement today to start reducing it once and for all.
Here’s a brief overview of everything Dr. Cole and I get into:
- Dr. Will Cole shares what’s changed since writing his first book
- How he finds time to write and be productive between seeing patients
- How the pandemic has affected his daily routine
- Why functional medicine practitioners are not made to replace your primary care physicians and how they can complement them instead
- What’s different from his first book Ketotarian to his latest one The Inflammation Spectrum
- What’s really happening underneath the surface with autoimmune conditions
- What is inflammation?
- Isn’t a small form of inflammation a good thing?
- The problems with chronic inflammation
- How inflammation is connected to mental and physical health problems
- Is it possible to reverse inflammation? Or is a full-blown intervention necessary?
- The concept of bio individuality and why it’s stressed in holistic practices
- Chronic cycles of inflammation
- The problem with inflammation in your gut
- What’s causing inflammation?
- More about Dr. Cole’s latest book The Inflammation Spectrum
- Why it’s not just about what you eat and what else you should focus on instead
- The non-measurable things you need to focus on too and deal with to heal your mental, emotional, and physical health
- Two non-nutritive tools Dr. Cole uses with his patients in his practice
- Why where you eat is just as important as what you eat
- How most of us are living in an unhealthy stressed out state, what that leads to, and how we can combat it
- Why it’s important to recalibrate the body and restore balance
- What’s changed for Dr. Cole since being quarantined
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the Natural State Podcast on iTunes to get automatic updates. Use Android? Click here to subscribe on Stitcher and here to subscribe on Google Play Music.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Dr. Will Cole’s website
- Dr. Cole’s Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube channel
- Dr. Cole’s free evaluation
- Dr. Cole’s books Ketotarian and The Inflammation Spectrum
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 007: Dr. Will Cole – Eliminating Inflammation with a Personalized Ketogenic Diet
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 093: Dr. Nicole Rivera – How Functional Medicine Can Uncover What’s Really Causing Poor Health
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 094: Emily Fletcher – Using Meditation to Stress Less, Sleep Better, and Improve Performance
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 017: Chris Kresser – Healing and Preventing Chronic Disease with Functional Medicine
- 5 Ways Keto May Reduce Brain Inflammation
- Cortisol Hormone: Its Role In Stress, Inflammation, And Weight Gain
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 036: Ali Miller – How Your Diet Influences Your Stress & Anxiety + What To Do About It
- Does The Keto Diet Work for Autoimmune Disease?