After reading his latest book, Food Fix, I knew I had to get Dr. Mark Hyman on the show to share his incredible knowledge on how our food system is contributing to worse health outcomes.
Dr. Hyman is a well-known family physician at the Cleveland Clinic who has written six best-selling books and it’s this latest one that really piqued my interest — it pissed me off in a good way.
That’s because Dr. Hyman goes into what’s wrong with our current food system, why it’s making people sick instead of better, what we can do about it, and what these changes could bring about as a result.
To say his research and what he discusses in both the episode and his book are eye-opening would be an understatement.
In this episode, you’ll have a peek into the research that Dr. Hyman shares in his book and the profound effects this has on our healthcare, the economy, and the environment. It’s truly mind-blowing.
While you may have heard some of these topics before on this podcast, Dr. Hyman shines an even deeper light into how bad our system really is and who it’s affecting the most.
You’ll also learn more about how this problem contributed to such devastating effects from the Coronavirus and how this could have been drastically reduced had we taken these important steps sooner.
One of the things that I love about Dr. Hyman is that he’s not just pointing fingers at what’s wrong. Instead, he’s come up with simple yet effective solutions we can use to combat these problems and he’s using research to back up these statements.If we don’t address why people are sick in the first place, we can increase access and provide coverage -- which should be a basic human right -- but it will be catastrophic in terms of the results on our economy and the burden of our… Click To Tweet
In case you’re not familiar with Dr. Mark Hyman’s work, he’s a popular family physician at the Cleveland Clinic as well as a speaker and advocate for Functional Medicine on top of being a best-selling author.
He also works extremely hard as an activist to change our food system on a global scale.
Dr. Hyman has testified before the Senate Working Group on Health Care Reform and he’s consulted with the surgeon general on diabetes prevention in the 2009 White House Forum.
He’s also presented at the Clinton Foundation’s Health conference and the World Economic Forum along with TEDMED and TEDx.
Dr. Hyman is an incredible resource on the topic and he’s a wealth of knowledge which is why I couldn’t wait to get him on the show and share what he’s been hard at work on.
When you tune in, you’ll hear about these topics and so much more:
- Dr. Hyman’s latest book, Food Fix, and how it addresses both the problems and solutions with our food system
- How chronic illnesses stem from the foods we eat
- How our food system produces foods that make us sick
- How there’s a serious global health issue around our food system
- How these issues are impacting our healthcare and climate change
- What can be done to fix this
- Is there an end in sight?
- How we underestimate the role our food system plays in health outcomes
- The populations most affected by Covid and why that is
- Some solutions that can be implemented starting today and how this has a trickle down effect
- The problems with programs like WIC and SNAP and what can be done to fix them
- Taxation of food
- The vegan versus meat-based diet debate and what we should really be focusing on instead
- Why we need animals for the environment to survive
- The problems with monoculture farms and why regenerative agriculture is necessary
Mentioned in This Episode
- Dr. Mark Hyman’s website
- Dr. Hyman’s Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube channel
- Dr. Hyman’s latest book, Food Fix
- Dr. Hyman’s podcast, The Doctor’s Pharmacy
- Dr. Hyman’s Mark’s Picks
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 112: Brian Sanders – How the Food Lies We’ve Been Taught are Destroying Our Health
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 109: Anya Fernald – Why Regenerative Farming is the Future of Meat
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 095: Will Harris – Regenerative Agriculture and Why More Farms Should Switch to this Eco-Friendly Model
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 078: Robby Sansom – The Benefits of Regenerative Agriculture
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 076: Jesse Griffiths – Hunting for Better Food Quality