As the title of this podcast suggests, I’m sitting down with Chris Irvin, Perfect Keto’s Education Manager and The Ketologist, once again to tackle some more great questions from our community.
But in this Q&A — which is a little different from the other six I’ve done — I’m doing more of a hybrid style where I answer questions and share the latest experiment both Chris and I are on.
This may come as a shock to some of you reading this and before anyone goes there, no Chris and I haven’t quit keto.
However, we are experimenting with adding more carbs into our diets to see how we feel and what effects (if any) it has on our blood glucose, body composition, resting metabolic rate, and so much more.
We’ll also share why we’ve decided to do this and how it’s working so far. You’ll even hear if we’re going to continue this experiment or abandon it for another testing phase.
On top of discussing this experiment, we’re answering top questions pertaining to our thoughts on cyclical keto, the best times to add in carbs, our top carb sources, and more.
So if you’ve been considering adding more carbs into your keto diet, this podcast episode has a ton of great information in store for you.Eating fats and carbs together is a really bad idea. Choose one or the other and primarily focus on that. Click To Tweet
And if this is your first time tuning into The Natural State Podcast, welcome!
My name is Dr. Anthony Gustin and I’m a board-certified chiropractor and functional medicine practitioner. On top of those qualifications, I also founded Perfect Keto and Equip Foods.
I also host The Natural State Podcast where I interview incredible experts and share my beliefs towards achieving a natural state of health.
It’s my belief that our artificial habitats have forced us into having artificial health problems. This show is my attempt to dive deep into nutrition, sleep, movement, relationships, and more to help you reclaim your natural state of health and show you how to thrive in an environment that’s stacked against you.
Join me in this Q&A episode with Chris Irvin and you’ll hear more about the following topics:
- Why Dr. Anthony Gustin and Chris Irvin are eating more carbs lately
- What Dr. Gustin and Chris noticed that made them decide to add in more carbs
- What they’ve noticed since doing so
- What their continuous glucose monitors have showed them since adding more carbs in
- The target carb range Dr. Gustin and Chris maintain
- How Chris went from mostly carnivore to adding in some carbs
- How the seasons affect Dr. Gustin’s diet choices
- Dr. Gustin and Chris also share the timing of their carbs and when they choose to add some in
- When you shouldn’t add carbs back in
- Why the type of carbs you add in and what you’re pairing them with matters
- Carb cycling to maintain metabolic flexibility
- Dr. Gustin and Chris also share their favorite carbs sources and the ones that don’t work well for them
- How to tell if a carb source works with or against your body by using a glucose monitor
- You’ll also hear whether or not adding more carbs has changed their body composition
- What “if it fits your macros” (IIFYM) gets wrong
- Foods that contain both carbs and fat and what you should know about this specific combination
- And, finally, you’ll hear whether or not they’ll stick to this way of eating
Mentioned in This Episode
- Dr. Anthony Gustin’s website
- Dr. Anthony Gustin’s Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube channel
- Equip Clean Carbs Sweet Potato Powder
- Equip Prime Protein Powder
- Equip Complete Collagen Protein Powder
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 069: (Q&A #6) – Keto Rash, Common Fasting Mistakes, CrossFit and Keto, and What to Do if You Have Trouble Digesting Fats
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 067: (Q&A #5) – Camping on Keto, Low-Carb Snacks That Won’t Raise Blood Sugar, Exercise and Blood Sugar, and Why You Should Track Your Blood Sugar
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 062: (Q&A #6) – My Daily Routines, Improving Mental Health, Exogenous Ketones and Stomach Upsets, Fiber Intake, and What I Wish I Knew Sooner
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 040: (Q&A #3) – Keto Hair Loss, Carnivore Vs Keto, And What Happens When You Go Off Keto While Traveling
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 039: (Q&A #2) – Exogenous Ketones, MCT Oil & Fat Burning, Drinking On Keto, and Making Organ Meat Taste Delicious
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 034: (Q&A #1) – Food Additives in Health Foods, My Go-To Supplements, and Why Ketone Levels Are Overrated