He’s the only person to squat and deadlift over 1000 pounds for reps, he holds the Guinness World Record for the sumo deadlift, and he’s been the number one ranked lifter in the world for eight years.
If you haven’t figured out who I’m talking about yet, my guest is best-selling author, speaker, inventor, engineer, and co-owner of Kabuki Strength, Build Fast Formula, and Barefoot Athletics, Chris Duffin (or muffin with a “D” as he mentions in the episode).
He’s an amazing human being — and an incredibly strong one both mentally and physically — who has had an interesting upbringing on top of everything I just listed.
He comes on the show to share how to strengthen all parts of your life, including your mindset, relationships, body, and so much more.
Chris also shares why it’s crucial for parents to pursue their dreams, how failure is your best teacher and why it’s necessary, what’s possible when you apply yourself to insurmountable tasks, and why you don’t need a bucket list.
He also chats about the five “whys”, filling your cup and how to do this, and how to really establish your values.
This is another jam-packed episode you don’t want to miss.You can accomplish so much and move so much further if you focus on your core values. Click To Tweet
Chris Duffin has an engineering background, he’s earned an MBA, and he’s the best-selling author of The Eagle and the Dragon.
He’s also earned a Guinness World Record for the sumo deadlift, he’s the only person to squat and deadlift over 1000 pounds for reps, and he’s a serial entrepreneur and inventor who has already created products to improve human mechanics.
Chris has also co-founded Kabuki Strength, Build Fast Formula, and Barefoot Athletics and, with such an extensive background, he knows what it takes to build strength in all areas of your life.
And he comes on the show to share this knowledge.
Here’s a peek at what Chris and I get into:
- Chris’ unique upbringing and what his childhood looked like
- The lessons he learned from growing up with several trauma situations
- How his mom lives intentionally in the wilderness
- Why it can be traumatic living outside
- How Chris marries modern society with his wilderness roots
- How text posture negatively affects our health
- Internal values and values for your family
- What Chris’ family values look like and how he’s raising his children
- The importance of physical activity
- Why parents should pursue their dreams and what happens when they don’t set that example for their kids
- Sleep and recovery
- The cup analogy and how Chris fills his up
- Why conflict-free environments don’t help you challenge yourself
- How Chris balances work, his passion projects, and being there for his family
- Why it’s crucial to give yourself creative time
- Looking at things in your life from a value perspective
- Why Chris believes having a bucket list is a bad thing
- What his life looks like on this new path
- Training barefoot and spending more time without shoes on
- The story behind Nike’s shoe design and what we can learn from it
- Changing your epigenetics
- Why Chris is a huge proponent of focusing on blood flow
- Daily nitrate use
Mentioned in This Episode
- Chris Duffin’s website (where you can find the first half of his book or the Audible offer mentioned in the episode)
- Chris Duffin’s Instagram and Facebook
- Chris’ book, The Eagle and The Dragon
- Chris’ Kabuki Strength website
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 140: Tim Grover – What It Takes to Win in Life
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 128: Katie Wells – Creating a Toxin-Free Healthy Home, Raising Independent Children, Self-Exploration, and More
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 092: Vivica Menegaz – Ayahuasca, MDMA, and Plant-Based Medicines for Healing Trauma
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 111: Matteo Franceschetti – What It Takes to Optimize Sleep Health, According to Experts
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 094: Emily Fletcher – Using Meditation to Stress Less, Sleep Better, and Improve Performance
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 086: Emily Schromm – How Emotional Awareness Can Dramatically Improve Your Life
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 047: David Goggins – Overcoming Obstacles, Changing Your Mindset, and How to Break Free From Your Comfort Zone