When was the last time you were bored? 30 years ago that was so common to be bored for most of your day. And now there’s zero time for your mind to reset. Click To Tweet
How could breathing exercises possibly improve your life and overall health?
After all, it’s something so simple that we do every day yet it can have an incredible affect on our physiology, both positively or negatively depending on how we’re doing it.
I was skeptical at first but, similar to meditation, I now understand its powers and the science behind breathwork.
And my guest, Robbie Bent, who happens to be an incredible expert in the breathwork space, helped me understand why this seemingly simple tool has such a profound effect on how we feel.
Robbie and I dove deep into all things breathwork, including the science behind it and why most of us need it, along with how it affects everything from your focus and productivity to overall health and your quality of sleep.
Robbie also helps guide listeners through how breathwork changes your state and what life looks like when we’re not practicing breathwork (*hint* it’s not good).
You’ll also discover how everyday stressors, such as your phone, are affecting your health, how to improve your sleep quality, cultivating more self-awareness, and how to overcome traumas.
Robbie also describes how our jaws have evolved over time and why this isn’t a good thing and his trip to Peru where he dove into psychedelics for medicinal purposes.
Most people won’t even know in their day how they feel. Click To Tweet
Robbie Bent’s on a mission to build a mental health platform that solves the problem of loneliness and helps people build happier and healthier lives.
He’s also created an empowering breathwork tool, Inward Breathwork, that helps people improve their mental health at home. It’s the first of its kind and it helps people reduce stress, improve sleep, boost energy, and improve mood.
When you tune in, you’ll learn all about the practice of breathwork and why it’s so beneficial.
Here’s a look at some of the topics Robbie and I chat about in this episode:
- How Robbie found himself on this path and what that journey looked like
- How he started with breathwork initially
- Robbie’s experience with psychedelics for medicinal purposes, ayahuasca, and his trip to Peru
- What his life looked like after going to Peru and trying psychedelics
- Wim Hof breathwork
- Operating with addictions
- Cultivating more self-awareness
- Why things have changed from 30 years ago
- Biological effects of breathwork and the science behind it
- CO2 tolerance, including what that is and how to optimize it
- The problem with overbreathing and how to treat it
- Three things you can implement today to improve your overall well-being
- How our jaws have evolved overtime and why this is a problem
- Heart rate variability before and after breathwork
- Improving sleep quality
- Overcoming trauma
- Two types of breathing and what you need to know about each one
- Nootropic breathing
- The Holotropic Protocol and Holotropic Breathwork
- The breathwork studio Robbie has created and what he offers
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the Natural State Podcast on iTunes to get automatic updates. Use Android? Click here to subscribe on Stitcher and here to subscribe on Google Play Music.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Robbie Bent’s website for breathwork
- Robbie Bent’s breathwork Instagram and his personal Twitter
- Breath, by James Nestor
- The Oxygen Advantage, by Patrick McKeown
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 089: Ben Greenfield – Biohacking Immunity and Raising Healthy Families
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 129: Steven Kotler – Achieving Flow State and The Science Behind It
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 092: Vivica Menegaz – Ayahuasca, MDMA, and Plant-Based Medicines for Healing Trauma
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 094: Emily Fletcher – Using Meditation to Stress Less, Sleep Better, and Improve Performance
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 070: Mike Mutzel – The Five Pillars of Health, Tips for Better Sleep, Meal Timing on Circadian Rhythm, Backyard Farming, and How to Stay Healthy While Traveling
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 111: Matteo Franceschetti – What It Takes to Optimize Sleep Health, According to Experts