Ready for some more skillet sensations? Check the Instagram!
The name is a little misleading for this recipe: Spicy Italian Breakfast Skillet. Yes, it is spicy. Yes, it tastes Italian. But NO – you do not have to have this breakfast skillet for breakfast. Maybe you want it for dinner. Lunch? Go ahead. Meals cooked in cast iron skillets are such an easy way to get a good helping of food with little effort and even less clean up. They are also a good way to get rid of some left over ends of veggies if you want to toss them in and cook them up with the other ingredients.
We have done a Mexican style breakfast skillet in the past, but this time we will be tackling the Italian version. Both are amazing. Try them both. Seriously. I might as well make a skillet recipe series over here. Until then, quit wasting time and get on to the recipe.
Super easy, super delicious. Any requests for different “genres” of skillets? I have a Thai one in the works, so keep an eye out for that.
Here’s how to make it:
Cook Time: 30m
- 3 slices bacon
- 1/2 pound spicy italian sausage
- 5 pastured eggs
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- sea salt
- Cook the sausage and the bacon at a lower temp in the cast iron skillet so that it doesn’t destroy so much of the fat. DO NOT dump the fat! This is assuming that you have properly sourced pastured pork. You want to keep that fat in there.
- Add onion, pepper, crushed red pepper, and garlic. Keep cooking until peppers and onions are soft and cooked through.
- Just like the step says. Layer some basil on the cooked ingredients and then crack five eggs on top. Use more or less eggs if you want more or less eggs.
- Toss in the oven at 350 F for 8-12 minutes or until the eggs are done to your preference. Typically they are perfect when you can shake the skillet and the whites look firm and set.