Want to check out more tasty soup recipes like this one? Hit my Instagram!
With the temperature cooling off a bit across the country, it is time to start cranking on the soups and stews again.
As I’ve been working out a little bit more and doing more gymnastics work lately, I’ve been going above and beyond to get more collagen and gelatin in my diet. More collagen and gelatin = more soft tissue support and recovery.
Most people get plenty of lean meat in their diet, which are excellent for repairing muscles. However, the type of work I’m doing right now has a huge demand on joint surfaces and connective tissues, which you don’t really get supported much unless you eat things including collagen and gelatin.
So, what is an easy way to get a ton of collagen and gelatin? Bone broth, of course! We’ve posted a little tutorial on how to make bone broth. But, bone broth sucks to make you say. I agree. It does. Good thing I’ve discovered Kettle and Fire bone broth recently.
Kettle and Fire is a grass fed bone broth that is shelf stable. No more mess in making bone broth, no more spoilage if you buy the refrigerated stuff. If you’re interested, check out my review here and feel free to pick some up over at the shop. Also, I begged them for a code you can use on their store for 15% off, which is GUSTIN15.
Why won’t I shut up about this? Because I’ve been insanely busy and haven’t had time to make soup lately due in large part to not having 48 hours to make stock. Now I can whip up some of my signature soup and stew recipes with little to no work.
I made this soup “paleo” with a can of coconut milk. If you tolerate dairy, you can just substitute a pint of cream or half and half. Also, feel free to beef this up with some meat of your choice if you’re looking for more protein to balance out the fat. I chopped up some chicken and added to this batch.
Again, don’t forget to stock up (ha!) with Kettle and Fire using code GUSTIN15 for 15% off.
Here’s how you can make it:
Cook Time: 1h 20m
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 splash whiskey or brandy
- 1 pinch each of chopped thyme and parsley
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- 4 cups assorted chopped mushrooms (honshimeji, oyster, chantrelle, crimini)
- 2 packages Kettle and Fire bone broth
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 minced shallot
- 2 diced onions
- 1 pinch sea salt and pepper
- Cook four slices of bacon over med to low heat. Remove and chop.
- In bacon fat, cook the onions, shallot, and garlic, then remove.
- Add ghee and mushrooms and cook down until mushrooms are limp.
- Add a splash of whiskey or brandy and deglaze pan. Scrape off anything browned on a pan, this will include all of the flavor, don’t miss!
- Add back bacon and cooked vegetables. Add Kettle and Fire bone broth, coconut milk, salt and pepper, and herbs and simmer for 45 mins.