While you may not know the term xenoestrogens, or chemicals that act like estrogen in the body, you’ve probably heard of a few of them before.
For example, you may be familiar with a popular one known as BPA, which is found in many plastics, and how this is something that can leach into your food and water and wreak havoc on your hormones.
But BPA is just the tip of the iceberg here.
There’s this and a huge handful of others that could already be lurking in your house — chances are high they already are — that could be disrupting your hormones without you even realizing it.
And that’s exactly why I couldn’t wait to get my guest Dr. Anthony Jay, a best-selling author and lead researcher for the Mayo Clinic, to come on the show to discuss more about xenoestrogens.
Dr. Jay has been researching these for years and even published a book on the topic. So he’s a top expert that can explain where these harmful chemicals are hiding, why they’re so dangerous, and what you can do to eliminate them from your life.
On top of diving into this topic on a deeper level, Dr. Jay and I also veer off into other important ones like DNA testing, water filtration, avoiding grains and high-carb diets, epigenetics, and intermittent fasting.
Since all of these can play a significant role in your hormone health, they’re just as crucial to pay attention to, which is what Dr. Jay helps you uncover in this episode.Ironically lavender can disrupt your hormones. It’s anti-inflammatory so it has some beneficial properties but it’s fairly well-established for activating the estrogen receptor. Click To Tweet
To give you some more background on Dr. Jay, he received a Ph.D in biochemistry from Boston University’s Medical School and went off to spend time researching Alzheimer’s disease, cholesterol, fats, and hormone health.
He’s currently a top researcher at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota where he focuses on stem cells, epigenetics, and infrared light.
Through this career path, he discovered just how much of an impact hormone disrupting chemicals can have on our health.
He published his findings in his book titled, Estrogeneration: How Estrogenics Are Making You Fat, Sick, and Infertile, and now he also consults people on what they can do to improve their health by removing hormone disrupting chemicals from their lives, along with continuing to dive into the research.
When you tune into this episode, you’ll learn more about the top offenders, why they’re so dangerous, and what can be done to eliminate them from your life.
Here’s a peek at the topics Dr. Jay and I get into:
- Dr. Jay’s background and how he went from getting a Ph.D. in biochemistry to becoming a top researcher
- How he eventually ventured into studying hormones and chemicals that act like hormones, known as xenoestrogens
- His “aha” moments in studying cholesterol
- Familial hypercholesterolemia
- The sweet spot for cholesterol and why you don’t want to go too low or high
- More about estrogen in both men and women
- The biggest offenders when it comes to xenoestrogens
- The problem with plastics, fragrances, and parabens
- What Dr. Jay recommends getting rid of
- The water filtration system he prefers
- What xenoestrogens are and why they’re a problem
- The problem with oxybenzone found in most sunscreen
- The first three steps you should take to remove these xenoestrogens from your life
- Why you should also avoid grains
- Why lavender is also something to remove from your life
- How artificial estrogens impact your DNA
- Epigenetics, including what that is and why you should care
- DNA testing – what it can and cannot tell you and what it could be doing better
- 23 and Me DNA results
- Why most people shouldn’t be eating carbs or choose a high-carb diet
- Vitamin E and retinol
- Intermittent fasting and why most people will see benefits from doing this, based on their genes
Mentioned in This Episode
- Dr. Anthony Jay’s website
- Dr. Jay’s Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube channel
- Dr. Jay’s book, Estrogeneration: How Estrogenics Are Making You Fat, Sick, and Infertile
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 085: Max Lugavere – How to Improve Your Health with More than Just Nutrition
- 5 Causes of Estrogen Dominance and How to Reverse It
- How to Increase Testosterone Naturally on a Keto Diet
- Is Activated Charcoal Keto? How This Supplement Actually Works
- Science-backed Health Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
- Keto and Endocrine Disorders: Eat These Foods for Better Health