The first time Max Lugavere, the New York Times best-selling author of Genius Foods, came on the show, he talked about what it takes to feed your mind and how to eat to optimize your brain function.
Since our chat then, Max has authored another book, The Genius Life, which covers everything else you should focus on to improve your health beyond just nutrition.
And that’s exactly what Max comes on the podcast to chat about in this episode.
Max and I get into the broader picture of health to see how your environment, what you’re exposed to, sleep, and movement can affect you.There have been studies that have shown that BPA -- at doses that we’re regularly exposed to -- can actually alter insulin responses in the body. Click To Tweet
You’ll also hear more about facilitating healthy digestion beyond just what you eat, the problems associated with exposure to endocrine disruptors and eating processed foods, and the one thing most adults don’t get enough of.
Max also dives deep into conventional versus organic produce options, plant toxicity, and what you can do to help your body detox naturally.
If you haven’t met my guest Max Lugavere yet, on top of being a best-selling author, he’s also a talented filmmaker and a health and science journalist.
He’s also the host of The Genius Life podcast, which is a top health podcast on iTunes.
Max has also appeared on The Rachael Ray Show and The Doctors and he’s contributed to Medcape, Vice, Fast Company, CNN, and the Daily News.
He has also been featured in People Magazine, The New York Times, The Today Show, and NBC Nightly News.
When you tune into this episode, you’ll hear about the topics below and so much more:
- Is organic produce really better for you?
- Is industrial organic better than conventional options?
- The real problem when it comes to the foods we eat
- Max also answers whether his view has changed since writing his first book
- The macronutrient he focuses on the most
- Energy toxicity, including what that is and why it matters
- The problem with processed foods
- How food affects your behavior
- Plant toxins and antifragility
- How to facilitate your body’s own detox
- The three P’s of healthy regulation and why they matter
- The one thing two-thirds of adults don’t get enough of
- Why healthy digestion is more than just about the foods you eat
- The problem with sitting down after a large meal and what to do instead
- Endocrine disruptors and how BPA-free doesn’t mean you’re safe
- The problem with BPA and other popular endocrine disruptors
- How to decrease your use of plastic and why this matters
- Overstatic overload
- How processing foods affects it
- The importance of sleep and your circadian rhythm
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the Natural State Podcast on iTunes to get automatic updates. Use Android? Click here to subscribe on Stitcher and here to subscribe on Google Play Music.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Max Lugavere’s website
- Max Lugavere’s Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube channel
- Max’s first book, Genius Foods
- Max’s second book, The Genius Life
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 011: Max Lugavere – Feeding Your Mind: How to Eat to Optimize and Protect Brain Function
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 077: Aaron Alexander – Movement Principles that Transform Health
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 072: Justin Mares – The History of Perfect Keto, Problems with Food Manufacturing, Lab-Grown Meat, Sleep Issues, and Why the Blue Zones May Not Be Accurate
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 070: Mike Mutzel – The Five Pillars of Health, Tips for Better Sleep, Meal Timing on Circadian Rhythm, Backyard Farming, and How to Stay Healthy While Traveling
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 064: Dr. Zoe Harcombe – Reversing Outdated Dietary Guidelines, Understanding Food Cravings, and What it Takes to Stop Overeating Carbs and Sugar
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 055: Ben Greenfield – Biohacking Your Health: The Top Hacks From a Professional Obstacle Course Racer