I could not be more excited to have Jake Muise, the CEO and Founder of Maui Nui Venison, on the podcast.
While I’m not paid by them nor are they sponsoring this episode, you’re going to hear me talk about Jake’s company a ton in this episode.
That’s because it’s one of the most ethically sourced, nutritious meat on the planet and their stress-free humane harvesting practices are unheard of.
When you tune in, you’ll learn how that’s even possible, Jake’s amazing upbringing and background, and how he found himself moving from Northern Canada to Hawaii to eventually tackling the overpopulation of Axis deer on the islands.
You’ll also get a sneak peek into Jake’s incredible operation: from getting USDA certified to what his on-the-spot harvesting actually looks like to how they hunt deer at night in the most humane way possible.
Jake also chats about how this overpopulation started, how it spread, why it’s such a problem for the people and environment in Hawaii, and more. He’s really the expert in the space and it’s fascinating to hear what he knows.There’s now about 60 or 70 thousand deer on Maui and there’s going to be 210 thousand unless we find ways to balance the population. Click To Tweet
Here’s a breakdown of what Jake and I get into:
- How Jake went from living in Northern Canada for most of his life to living in Hawaii
- How Jake’s family lived off of the land
- How the deer overpopulation in Hawaii started
- How the population is spreading today
- Why the overpopulation of these deer is a problem
- When it became an issue
- How all of this led Jake to do what he does now
- Why you can’t just hunt and sell that meat
- What Jake’s incredible process looks like
- What the ultimate goal is with these deer
- More about Jake’s company Maui Nui Venison, which humanely harvests Axis deer out of Hawaii
Mentioned in This Episode
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 098: Mansal Denton – Ethical Hunting and Tapping into Nature and Your Emotions
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 139: Eric Perner – Optimizing Regenerative Agriculture for a Better Future for Our Planet
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 122: Ed Byrne – Making Regenerative Agriculture Mainstream
- The Natural State Podcast Episode 117: Dr. Anthony Gustin – (Q&A #9) – Fixing the Farming Industry, PUFAs in Meat, Lab Grown Meat, and Why It’s Crucial to Eat Locally