Now it’s easier than ever to disrupt the internal mechanisms that keep us healthy.
We disrupt our circadian rhythm by working long hours and having blue lights on late at night.
We harm our metabolism by eating processed foods high in sugar, grains, and trans fats.
We increase our stress levels by spending too much time on social media and working when we should be resting.
Thanks to these unhealthy habits, more people are suffering from preventable lifestyle diseases that drastically reduce their quality of life and lifespan.
Today’s guest, Dr. John Limansky, realized how damaging unhealthy lifestyle choices are when he became a physician.
When he visited one of the sickest parts of the USA in Mississippi, he saw 20-year-olds at the end of their lives suffering from obesity, metabolic syndrome, and diabetes — all mainly due to poor nutrition.
That’s why he decided to shift the focus of his career and become a preventive doctor.
Dr. John Limansky, also known as The Keto Doctor, is a board-certified physician of internal medicine, father of 3, and founder of Biohack MD.
Dr. Limansky’s preventive approach is biohacking — the process of making impactful lifestyle changes that boost your health and well-being.
Through his medical practice, Dr. Limansky discovered you can prevent illnesses by changing your lifestyle.
He started helping people improve their overall health and take some patients off their medication by optimizing their sleep, nutrition, physical activity, and other important aspects of health, instead of just prescribing meds.I’ve seen this in multiple people that I’ve worked with: Improving their sleep is dramatically impactful on not just weight loss or reaching ketosis, but also their mood, their ability to maintain their weight, their hunger levels. Click To Tweet
Today I chat with Dr. Limansky about the most important biohacking strategies he uses to enhance his family’s and patient’s health and exactly what you can do to get started.
In this episode, we go over:
- Why Dr. Limansky decided to focus on biohacking and prevention
- How Dr. Limansky made the switch from traditional clinical practice to what he does now
- How Dr. Limansky plans to bring health knowledge to a local level in the next few years
- What biohacking means
- The most important lifestyle tweaks you can make for optimal health
- Why you should focus on the changes that are the hardest for you
- Why adequate sleep should be your #1 priority
- The side effects of not getting enough or high quality sleep
- Effective strategies for radically improving your sleep
- How to easily incorporate exercise into your lifestyle
- The benefits of going from extreme hot to cold temperatures
- What cold thermogenesis is and its benefits
- How to do cold thermogenesis when traveling
- Why cold showers don’t provide the same metabolic benefits as cold thermogenesis
- The perks of combining fasting, physical activity, and cold thermogenesis
- The health markers Dr. Limansky tracks
- How he tracks ketones depending on people’s health goals
- Why he prefers to track breath ketones over blood ketones
- How long it takes for people to see their blood ketones rise
- Why some people don’t do well on keto
- How people can tell whether they need a personalized keto approach
- The benefits of fasting
- What heart rate variability (HRV) is and why Dr. Limansky measures it
- How to reduce stress (hint: you have to address several things at the same time)
- Why it’s important to reconnect with people with your phone off
- The benefits of meditation
Mentioned in This Episode
- Dr. Limansky’s website
- Biohack MD
- Dr. Limansky’s Instagram and Twitter
- Sleep wearable: Oura ring
- Glasses: Blue light blockers
- Dimmable light bulbs: Philips Hue
- Health data: Heads Up Health
- App: Elite HRV