Before turning into a fitness star and nutritional therapy practitioner, today’s guest, Emily Schromm, struggled with acne and gut problems for years.
Growing up, Emily seemed to be doing everything right: she took ulcer medication, acne medication, exercised regularly, and ate a diet full of veggies, protein, whole grains, and full-fat dairy — but neither her skin nor her gut ever really healed.
It wasn’t until she tried the paleo diet that she noticed a dramatic improvement. The high fat approach had healed her gut, which in turn banished her acne for good — something that prescriptions or birth control never could.
Her health transformation didn’t stop there.
As she transitioned from a paleo to a ketogenic diet, she was able to fix her adrenals to maximize her energy and improve her mental health.Nothing will change with your adrenals until you control blood sugar Click To Tweet
Her journey was full of experimentation: she tinkered with paleo and keto to find the right macros for peak performance, she tested a low-fat approach, and most importantly, she developed a profound self-awareness of her mind and body to find what really works for her.
Join me as I sit down with Emily to talk about her health journey, how to learn to listen to your body, and why a high fat diet might be just what you need to cure gut and energy imbalances.
In this episode, we go over:
- How you can get rid of acne and improve skin health with a high fat diet
- How a paleo and ketogenic diet can heal gut problems
- The gut-skin link
- How to protect and fix your adrenals to avoid fatigue and energy dips
- Why it’s important to experiment with your keto macros
- Why a ketogenic diet is not for everyone
- How to balance your carbs if you do intense exercise
- How to tell if you’re doing the keto diet wrong
- Emily’s favorite workout combo
- What Emily eats for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for optimal performance
- Emily’s favorite supplements and adaptogens
- How Emily finds the time to work out no matter how busy she is
- Emily’s secret to optimizing sleep
Mentioned in This Episode
- Emily’s website
- Emily’s Instagram
- Emily’s weight training backpack, EMPACK
- Emily’s podcast, Meathead Hippie
- Emily’s tea company, Herbal Element
- The Body Awareness Project
- Superhero Challenge
- Equip Post-Workout Prime Protein
- Perfect Keto Exogenous Ketones
- The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
- The Power of When by Michael Breus
- Episode 001: Healing Hormonal Imbalances with the Ketogenic Diet – Leanne Vogel
- Episode 004: Carb Cycling and Cheat Meals on the Ketogenic Diet – Jason Wittrock
- How To Tell If You Can Eat Dairy And Why You Should
- The Secret to Keto Dairy (And How Keto Can Help Lactose Intolerance)
- Hormones and the Ketogenic Diet
- Does a Ketogenic Diet Affect Women’s Hormones?
- The Biggest Ketogenic Diet Benefits
- Using Supplements on Keto: The Top 16 and Why You Need Them
- How To Use The Ketogenic Diet for Productivity and Mental Performance
- Research Shows That Bone Broth is Liquid Gold (And Here’s Why)