Before turning into a fitness star and nutritional therapy practitioner, today’s guest, Emily Schromm, struggled with acne and gut problems for years.
Growing up, Emily seemed to be doing everything right: she took ulcer medication, acne medication, exercised regularly, and ate a diet full of veggies, protein, whole grains, and full-fat dairy — but neither her skin nor her gut ever really healed.
It wasn’t until she tried the paleo diet that she noticed a dramatic improvement. The high fat approach had healed her gut, which in turn banished her acne for good — something that prescriptions or birth control never could.
Her health transformation didn’t stop there.
As she transitioned from a paleo to a ketogenic diet, she was able to fix her adrenals to maximize her energy and improve her mental health.
Her journey was full of experimentation: she tinkered with paleo and keto to find the right macros for peak performance, she tested a low-fat approach, and most importantly, she developed a profound self-awareness of her mind and body to find what really works for her.
Join me as I sit down with Emily to talk about her health journey, how to learn to listen to your body, and why a high fat diet might be just what you need to cure gut and energy imbalances.
In this episode, we go over:
- How you can get rid of acne and improve skin health with a high fat diet
- How a paleo and ketogenic diet can heal gut problems
- The gut-skin link
- How to protect and fix your adrenals to avoid fatigue and energy dips
- Why it’s important to experiment with your keto macros
- Why a ketogenic diet is not for everyone
- How to balance your carbs if you do intense exercise
- How to tell if you’re doing the keto diet wrong
- Emily’s favorite workout combo
- What Emily eats for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for optimal performance
- Emily’s favorite supplements and adaptogens
- How Emily finds the time to work out no matter how busy she is
- Emily’s secret to optimizing sleep
Mentioned in This Episode
- Emily’s website
- Emily’s Instagram
- Emily’s weight training backpack, EMPACK
- Emily’s podcast, Meathead Hippie
- Emily’s tea company, Herbal Element
- The Body Awareness Project
- Superhero Challenge
- Equip Post-Workout Prime Protein
- Perfect Keto Exogenous Ketones
- The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
- The Power of When by Michael Breus
- Episode 001: Healing Hormonal Imbalances with the Ketogenic Diet – Leanne Vogel
- Episode 004: Carb Cycling and Cheat Meals on the Ketogenic Diet – Jason Wittrock
- How To Tell If You Can Eat Dairy And Why You Should
- The Secret to Keto Dairy (And How Keto Can Help Lactose Intolerance)
- Hormones and the Ketogenic Diet
- Does a Ketogenic Diet Affect Women’s Hormones?
- The Biggest Ketogenic Diet Benefits
- Using Supplements on Keto: The Top 16 and Why You Need Them
- How To Use The Ketogenic Diet for Productivity and Mental Performance
- Research Shows That Bone Broth is Liquid Gold (And Here’s Why)