In need of easy inspiration for side recipes? Check my Instagram.
Savoy cabbage is often overlooked when we’re talking about the cabbage scene, which makes me sad. Savoy cabbage is much more tender than green or red cabbages which are bitter and rubbery before being cooked. Here is a pro tip – the leaves that wrap around the cabbage loosely? Rip those off and cut them up nice and thin for an amazing addition to salads.
Also, little known to most people is that cabbage packed full of nutrients. Break it down by cooking it and add some fat for extra vitamin and mineral absorption and you have yourself a nice healthy plate of nature’s multivitamin.
This braised savoy cabbage recipe takes advantage of the overall tenderness and amplifies it with the two hour cook time with fat. Check it out and start making braised savoy cabbage part of your routine!
Here’s how to make it:
Cook Time: 2h
- 1 savoy cabbage
- 1 red onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken bone broth
- 3 tablespoons ghee or animal fat
- salt and pepper to taste
- The cabbage will be surrounded by huge leaves you can easily peel off. Peel these and chop up for a salad or use otherwise. They will get wilted when braising otherwise. Chop into fairly large chunks and add to a glass baking dish.
- Pretty self-explanatory step here. Use somewhat larger chunks of each. Add to cabbage.
- Pour over veggie mix and stir up. Season with salt and pepper. We switch this up when we make it every time and add in different variations of herbs and spices. Get creative!
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 375 F. Stir and toss back in the oven for another 45 minutes. Remove the foil and broil for 5 minutes or until the tops of the cabbage brown accordingly.