A series of unexplained symptoms led Dr. Becky Campbell, a Functional Medicine practitioner specializing in thyroid health and histamine intolerances, to try the conventional medicine route to find relief.
After seeing five different doctors, Dr. Campbell was diagnosed with thyroid issues.
While she thought this diagnosis would clear up her symptoms now that she knew what was going on, many still remained.
So Dr. Campbell kept digging into the root cause of these issues and discovered a histamine intolerance was also to blame.
In this podcast episode, Dr. Campbell shares this journey along with what a histamine intolerance is and why so many people could unknowingly be affected by it.
When you tune in, you’ll also hear more about the symptoms of an over or underactive thyroid, histamine symptoms to watch out for, and how to test yourself at home.
And that’s not all we chat about in this episode.
Dr. Campbell and I also veer off into mental health topics, what a Functional Medicine practitioner is, and so much more.Find some type of activity, whether that’s meditation, mindfulness training, or hanging out with positive people -- you need to put these things into practice or else you will not get better. Click To Tweet
If you’re not familiar with Dr. Campbell’s work, she’s the author of The 30-Day Thyroid Reset Plan: Disarming the 7 Hidden Triggers That are Keeping You Sick and she also recently published The 4-Phase Histamine Reset Plan, a book on understanding and overcoming histamine intolerance.
Dr. Campbell is also in the process of writing her third book which combines a low-carb diet with a low-histamine diet, which you’ll hear more about in the episode.
On top of being a board certified doctor of natural medicine (DNM) and author, Dr. Campbell also has her doctorate in chiropractic medicine and has trained under Chris Kesser.
Here’s a sneak peek of the topics Dr. Campbell and I get into:
- Dr. Campbell’s professional and personal background and her journey with thyroid issues and histamine intolerance
- How conventional medicine didn’t work for Dr. Campbell and what did
- Possible signs of hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism and the difference between the two
- How a functional medicine practitioner differs from a traditional doctor
- The main things Dr. Campbell tests for in her patients
- Two techniques that Dr. Campbell prescribes first that have tremendous success on decreasing symptoms in her patients
- The symptoms Dr. Campbell started experiencing before she was diagnosed with a histamine intolerance
- Mast cell activation syndrome, including what it is and how it’s connected to a histamine intolerance
- How histamine operates under normal conditions and what happens when things go wrong
- What it takes to address a histamine intolerance
- The foods to avoid if histamine intolerance is an issue
- The problem with leftovers and increased histamines
- The symptoms of a histamine intolerance
- Why meal prepping isn’t helpful for a histamine intolerance
- Why you don’t need to spend money on testing for a histamine intolerance and what you can do at home to test yourself
- The differences in histamine in women versus men
- Why stress management is so important for mental health
- Some easy strategies to improve mental health
- The one thing you can do today to improve your mental health
Mentioned in This Episode
- Dr. Becky Campbell’s website
- Dr. Becky Campbell’s Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Dr. Campbell’s book, The 30-Day Thyroid Reset Plan: Disarming the 7 Hidden Triggers That are Keeping You Sick
- Dr. Campbell’s second and latest book, The 4-Phase Histamine Reset Plan
- Do You Need To Avoid Histamines on a Keto Diet?
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 058: Dr. Michael Ruscio – Strategies for Improving Gut Health, How Histamines Might Be Sabotaging Your Health, and Choosing the Right Probiotic
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 026: Dr. Michael Ruscio – Fixing Your Gut Health And The Truth About Fiber and Bacteria
- Thyroid Supplements: 7 Science-Backed Nutrients for a Healthy Thyroid
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 062: Dr. Anthony Gustin – My Daily Routines, Improving Mental Health, Exogenous Ketones and Stomach Upsets, Fiber Intake, and What I Wish I Knew Sooner